Business Law

Can I run a business out of a rental house? I have my landlord's permission and my neighbours are ok with it - can I put up a sign?

Each municipality has its own procedures for how to get a zoning "variance" -- that is, to carve out an exception to how an area or property is meant to be zoned. Just getting signatures from your neighbours (and your landlord) may not be sufficient, as the municipality may also need to consider what happens if other people make the same request. Sometimes, public hearings are involved. Speak to a local attorney who's familiar with zoning regulations in your area. If you just put up your sign and encourage the vehicular traffic without following the proper channels, you could get yourself-- and your landlord-- in a lot of legal hot water.

Janet McCausland
Home-based Business

View Profile

The following information is required in order for us to reply to your question.

Want to succeed in your small business?

Learn How